Mid-Century Car Port
All Entries > Open
The Thexton residence, designed by the Cincinnati architects Carl Strauss and Raymond Roush in 1952, was recently the subject of an extensive renovation project meant to revive the spirit of this mid-century home. Recognizing that the carport was such an essential piece of the original composition, the client wisely opted to preserve it over the addition of an enclosed garage. This last, but important phase of the project, required the architects to address issues of structural stability and security. The entry sequence is carefully elaborated, yet subtle. One arrives first at the carport, which is perched inconspicuously on the hillside some ways above the residence. Upon parking, one descends a covered ramp which threads its way between existing trees to be delivered at the exact corner of a small deck. Aside from being the first node in this entry sequence, the carport is also a double of the house in pavilion form. Whereas the house is essentially a viewing stand for taking in the skyline and river valley, the carport above offers a view of the house together with the river valley. In renovating the carport, the architects sought to further tie it to the house by expanding the palette of materials and introducing meticulous detailing. Most notable is the addition of a sliding wood and steel gate that further dramatizes, yet secures, the entry sequence. The resulting composition becomes something like a tectonic amuse-bouche.