Enter the Cincinnati Design Awards and showcase your best design work! Projects completed within the past five years in the disciplines of architecture, interior design, landscape architecture, and experiential graphic design are all eligible for consideration. The tabs below contain templates, complete program requirements, and contact information in case you have any questions or problems with your entry submission.
After you have read all the information in the tabs below and have your checklist items ready to submit, use the buttons below to either register as a new entrant or log in to your existing CDA account to manage your entries or purchase new ones. Good Luck to all CDA entrants!
Please record your username and login password for your company to use in the future! You will be able to save and edit your entries right up until the submission deadline using your login credentials. And you will be able to resubmit them in subsequent years if they do not win an award when first submitted (up to five years from project completion date).
2017 Important Dates
- Call for Entries details and PowerPoint template online Friday August 8th, 2017.
- Online awards submission system opens Friday September 15th, 2017.
- This year’s entry deadline will be Friday October 20th 2017 at 5:00 pm EST. The online website will automatically shut off at this time and no late entries will be accepted.
- The awards banquet will be held on Friday November 3rd 2017 at the Memorial Hall at 1225 Elm Street, Cincinnati 45202 from 6:00–9:00 pm. Banquet reservations are required.
- To be eligible for the 2017 CDA program, projects must have been completed no earlier than October 20th, 2012.
- If you have questions regarding the program itself or your entry (requirements, categories, etc.), please contact Greg Pinter (email@example.com) or Ryan Geismar (firstname.lastname@example.org) by email.
- If you have problems with the online registration / submission system, please contact the CDA webmaster by email.
So you are prepared to submit your entry online, please gather the following information about your project before starting the online process!
- Complete your 4-slide PowerPoint banquet file BEFORE starting the online submission to save time! You can download the template below. The first slide of the template contains instructions and should be deleted before submitting completed slideshow.
- Prepare no more than 15 JPEG images to upload for the jury to review. They can include any combination of photos and drawings. They must be in JPEG format and be no more than 2000 pixels in either width or height.
- Project title, location, and completion date. Make sure you edit the TITLE at the very top of the online entry form to be your project’s title so it appears correctly on the website.
- Project team company and individual names you would like to recognize.
- Contractor(s) and Photographer names and company website URL addresses (important! – the URL’s will become links on the CDA website).
- Project narrative (1500 characters max = about 200 words.)
NOTE: You no longer need to submit a complete PowerPoint with all project photos! You will instead upload 15 separate JPEG images and a short, 4-slide PowerPoint show that will only be shown at the banquet in the event your project wins an award. (The jury will not view the PowerPoint files you submit. They will only review the separate JPEG images you upload.)
The CDA program
The Cincinnati Design Awards (CDA) promote the best in environmental design by Cincinnati-area creative firms. It is the goal of this program to recognize local and regional designers and design firms for their outstanding work in the community and also to educate the general public to the benefits of supporting quality design. Each year, the Cincinnati Chapter of the American Institute of Architects (AIA Cincinnati), the International Interior Design Association (IIDA) Cincinnati/Dayton City Center, the American Society of Interior Designers (ASID) Cincinnati/Dayton, the Society for Experiential Graphic Design (SEGD) Cincinnati Chapter and the Miami Section of the American Society of Landscape Architects (ASLA) invite their members to present their best work in their respective annual design competitions. All entries will be judged by a common jury of distinguished guests connected to all facets of the design profession. The awards are announced at the annual CDA banquet with a panel of guest jurors and a distinguished local speaker.
AIA Design Awards
- Built Work
New Construction, Preservation, Additions, Interior Design, Urban Design
- Small Projects
Residential and Commercial Projects under 10,000 square feet in area
IIDA & ASID Design Awards
- Built Work
New Construction and Renovations of Interior Projects
- Small Projects
Residential and Commercial Projects under 5,000 square feet in area
SEGD Design Awards
- Built Work
Wayfinding, Interior Branded Environment, Exterior Placemaking, Exhibition Design
- Single Sign
An Individual Sign — stand alone or part of a system
ASLA Design Awards
- Built Work
Public, Private, & Institutional Landscapes; Design for Transportation, Green, & Blue Infrastructure; Historic Preservation; Interior Landscapes; Green Roofs
- Planning & Analysis
Urban, Suburban, Rural, or Regional Planning; Transportation, Town, Campus Planning; Natural or Cultural Resource Reports
Innovation in Design Awards
- Design Thinking
Research, Visionary Projects, Progressive Design Methods, Community Engagement
Distinguished Detail, Sustainability & Social Equity, Technological Advancement
Note: The number of awards in any category is subject to the discretion of the jury. The jury also has the right not to award any projects in any given category in any given year if the work is not deemed of sufficient quality.
- Projects must have been completed within five calendar years of the CDA submission deadline each year.
- The submitting firm must have a local office actively involved in the project and be a current member of the organization to which they are submitting an entry.
- The submitting firm must be the Design of Record, responsible for the overall design of the project concept.
- Submissions by design teams and joint ventures shall be eligible for the member fee only when the Designer of Record is a local member.
- Non-members may submit at a non-member rate.
2017 Entry Fees
AIA / IIDA / ASID / ASLA
Member entries: $150
Non-member entries: $300
Member and Non-member entries: $100
Single sign entries: $50
AIA: Gabriel Smith, FAIA
Thomas Phifer and Partners – New York, NY
IIDA/ASID: Courtney Armstrong, IIDA
Studio BV – Minneapolis, MN
SEGD: Amy Lukas
Infinite Scale Design Group – Salt Lake City, UT
ASLA: Barbara Wilks, FAIA, FASLA
W Architecture & Landscape Architecture – Brooklyn, NY
Local Juror: Jay Becker
BLDG – Covington, KY